The Legacy of Scott Hutchinson

Growing up is never easy. The difficulties for everyone differs, but everyone will have their own battles to face. Scott Hutchinson (lead singer and songwriter for the Indie Band Frightened Rabbit) helped me to overcome certain difficulties, and even now having survived my teenage years I enjoy listening to Frightened Rabbit. I came across this band whilst listening to a podcast by fellow Scotsman Simon Neil (lead singer of Biffy Clyro) who claimed that Scott Hutchinson and his band were "ones to watch" and that the 'Modern Leper' (link below) was a "beautiful creation". Since his death (9th May 2018), artists around the world have worked on a re-make of Scott's greatest record 'The Midnight Organ Fight', named 'Tiny Changes: A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit's 'T.M.O.F'. Whilst his fans have through social media started to support each other through difficult times, as Scott had intend from his unique song writing. Fans have created Facebook groups in which discussions on mental health happen daily and events are created to remember Scott and his parables. Scott's family created a charity in his name 'Make Tiny Changes', to raise awareness on mental health issues for children and young adults. Scott has left an incredible legacy from his music and here is why. 

Image result for scott hutchison


Scott was an advocate for supporting mental health issues having struggled with them himself. His last album 'Painting of a Panic Attack' addressed many of his issues and the stigma of mental health (lyrics below). Having often read posts, articles and blogs from the Facebook group: Frightened Rabbit Recognition I knew I had to honour Scott. On the page members have helped each other through mental health problems, charities have been set up, worldwide events have taken place (earlier this year an EP of Scott's was sent around the world) and most importantly Scott's incredible work lives on. This page is one of many, in which Scott's fans feel comfortable to discuss topics such as grieving, relationship breakdowns, financial issues, addictions and also success stories of overcoming mental health issues.  




Tiny Changes

Death Dream - Frightened Rabbit (Lyrics)
It was dawn and the kitchen light was still on
I stepped in, found the suicide asleep on the floor
An open mouth screams and makes no sound
Apart from the ring of the tinnitus of silence
You had your ear to the ground
White noise
I don't know if there's breathing or not
Butterflied arms tell me that this one has flown
Blood seems black against the skin of your porcelain back
A still life is the last I will see of you
A painting of a panic attack
He died in his sleep last night x4
You died in his sleep last night x5
Death dreams you don't forget
It's been a while since I dreamed this but
Even now, when asleep, I'll tread with care
Death dreams you don't forget
It's been a while since I dreamed this but
Even now, when asleep, I'll tread with care
Death dreams I don't forget
It's been a while since I dreamed this but
Even now, when asleep, I'll tread with care
Death dreams I don't forget
It's been a while since I dreamed this but
Even now, when asleep, I'll tread with care




Scott's five studio albums with his band showed his undeniable talent as a songwriter. His creations were in support of (what is seen as) the lowest of human society: the poor, the homeless, addicts, and outcasts. His song in 2016 'I wish I was Sober' was evidence of this. His band often described him as an emotional purist who would rather have his fans discuss the message of his songs then the numbers they produced. Scott was a vocal activist for those that needed it most. In another of his songs 'Head Rolls Off' Scott left a message to his fans that has become the slogan of his legacy, "while I'm alive I'll make tiny changes to earth". This also helped his family set up 'Make Tiny Changes'.


What Scott did isn't easy to do. To make yourself vulnerable in your work and give it to the public. He never held back anything, discussions of his depression and darkest thoughts would become part of the bands fabric. I struggle with contemporary music always being edited to death. Scott had a very honest approach to his song writing, live music and interviews. Scott was a kind, funny and also incredibly hard working musician. His collection of songs takes you on the highest highs and lowest lows, this left a legacy of discussion in his music. The discussions from his music and work being done to help sufferers is a major step to helping people and not just pretending people do not suffer with mental health, or covering up true feelings. Not many modern day artists are able to (or want to, which is fine) give themselves to their records, but Scott has started an open empire for the vulnerable that we must never forget.





Frightened Rabbit have influenced other artists. One being the band Biffy Clyro who in honour of the band re-made 'The Modern Leper'. Scott knew how to give everything to his music and not hold back. His pure Scottish grit is brought to life in this track and his unedited thoughts in his songs gave his fans an authentic connection to his music. I have left my favourite tracks in this article but I recommend you discover them for yourselves and join the FR clan.  



Take a moment to go through these links and then discover Scott's music for yourself, as I did, thankfully as did millions of others.






“Music just makes sense of things that don’t make sense. It just makes something kind of neat out of something messy,” Scott Hutchison, 2018




Donate to Scott's charity: http://maketinychanges.co.uk/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jaden Smith - Icon